Community Spark Scholarship Program
The Community Spark Scholarship focuses on providing financial assistance to underrepresented and/or first-generation college students who have an interest in a post-college career within the credit union industry.
The Southeastern Credit Union Foundation will disburse two (2) $10,000 scholarships in 2023. Scholarships will be made payable to the college or university by The Southeastern Credit Union Foundation. The school must be accredited and located in Alabama or Georgia.
- • Major in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, Information Technology
- • Applicants must submit a copy of their transcript. Transcript must be current as of the end of the prior semester.
- • High school seniors must provide a copy of letter of acceptance from an accredited college or university. If student has not made a final decision, they may provide one letter with the application package. Should the student be chosen as a scholarship recipient, we will verify their school of choice prior to funding award.
- • Submit a 1 – 2 minute video essay on the topic… “Please describe your personal experience navigating access to reliable and affordable financial services.”
- • Complete a Statement of Financial Need, a short 150 - 300 word essay.
- • Complete a virtual interview with the Community Spark Scholarship Selection Committee (upon request)
- • Submit a completed Community Spark Scholarship application by March 15, 2023
Selection and Announcement of Winners
Judging will take place by the Community Spark Scholarship Selection Committee, and winners will be announced on April 21, 2023. All selections are final. Applicants will be notified by a Southeastern Credit Union Foundation representative via phone and/or email.
Applicants must meet all the following conditions:
- • Be a first-time, full-time freshman
- • Have a high school cumulative unweighted grade point average of at least a 3.0
- • Must be a U.S. citizen
- • Completed all college or university pre-enrollment requirements
- • Demonstrate a financial need upon completion of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The scholarship is renewable for up to 3 additional years provided the following criteria are meet:
- • Remain enrolled in the original college as a full time (15+) hours
- • Earn at least a 2.75 at the end of each academic year (Fall and Spring)
- • Complete an annual learning survey at the end of each academic year
- • Upon request, students must provide an essay of their experience and benefits of the scholarship at the end of each academic year
- • Make at least 3 of the 4 mentor meetings with your liaison
- • Work at least 1 summer internships at a credit union prior to your senior year
Applications must be complete and submitted by March 15, 2023, by 11:59 PM (EST). Application must be completed entirely via online application - no part of the application package should be sent in separately. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Winners must supply an official transcript of their year-end grades prior to the scholarship being funded to the college or university. Scholarship recipients agree to provide a photo and have their name published in the League of Southeastern Credit Union & Affiliates publications, on our website and social media outlets, and participate in future advertisements and other media materials. Scholarship winners may also be asked to participate in various social networking sites.